To One In Sorrow
Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
And let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorrow such as yours, can understand.
Let me come in--I would be very still beside you in your grief;
I would not bid you cease your weeping, friend,
Tears bring relief. Let me come in--and hold your hand,
For I have known a sorrow such as yours, And understand.

-Grace Noll Crowell

The Loss Of A Child

The moment that I knew you had died,
My heart split in two,
The one side filled with memories,
The other died with you.

I often lay awake at night,
When the world is fast asleep,
And take a walk down memory lane,
With tears upon my cheek.

Remembering you is easy,
I do it every day,
But missing you is a heartache,
That never goes away.

I hold you tightly within my heart,
And there you will remain,
Life has gone on without you,
But it never will be the same.

For those who still have their children,
Treat them with tender care,
You will never know the emptiness,
As when you turn and they are not there.

Don't tell me that you understand,
don't tell me that you know.
Don't tell me that I will survive,
How I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test,
That I am truly blessed.
That I am chosen for the task,
Apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers
That can only come from me,
Don't tell me how my grief will pass,
That I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment
the bonds I must untie,
Don't tell me how to grieve,
Don't tell me when to cry.

Accept me in my ups and downs,
need someone to share,
Just hold my hand and let me cry
And say, "My friend, I care

Author unknown

in my car

in my car the tears flow free
away from everyone else but me
alone in my car with only my sorrow
i keep hoping it won't be the same tomorrow
but it is and as i drive home from work each day
it is strength that i beg for each time that i pray
god, let me make it just one more mile
on this road of life without my child

by renee williams
Member of lossofachild2 grief support group

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by my Grief Support Blog! This blog will be added to as new resources are discovered and examined, as I find new poetry, or write new articles. Please stop back by again! A blog seems to scroll on forever as you add to it, and older articles are "archived". Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on a link to see older articles. You'll then be taken to the top of the blog again and will have to scroll down the page to see the older articles now placed on the page. CONTENTS Poems and Submissions by Others... ~One More Mile, Renee Williams ~A Pair of Shoes, Anonymous ~God Saw You, Anonymous ~How Am I?, by Jennifer Bonner ~How We Survive, by Mark Rickerby ~Please See Me Through My Tears, Kelly Osmont ~To One In Sorrow, Grace Noll Crowell Memorials... ~Michael Aaron Botten ~Matthew Robert Slasor Resources ~Two More Resources ~Support Groups Online ~Books and Articles ~List of Grief and Comfort Songs ~Tributes to Lost Loved Ones Articles ~Cloud Bursts ~Endless Highway ~I Feel That No One Cares ~Seaching for Comfort and Cures ~Child Loss - A Different Dimension of Grief ~The Elusive Good Night's Sleep ~Our Grief Becomes a Part of Who We Are ~Healing Times - Taking Care of You ~Some Ways to Help a Grieving Person ~They Are Worthy of Our Grief ~Coming Back to Life Again ~Another Calendar Page Falls to the Floor ~Holiday Memorial Wreath ~The Grief Pack ~No More Compensation ~Grief Journeys - Heading for Dry Land ~The Red Light Won't Go Off (Child Loss) ~Go At Your Own Pace...But Keep on Trying

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07
My beloved first-born son

Michael Aaron Botten

February 18, 1974 - January 09, 2007

Beloved first-born son of Sandra Burgess-Dean and William Botten; brother to Tracie Dean and Matthew Botten; father to two beautiful daughters, Krista and Kelsey.

He loved old cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, fixing things, remote control vehicles, model cars, bicycles, creating with clay, drawing, reading his Bible, his family, friends, and co-workers. He was a volunteer fireman and a maintenance technician.

Michael suffered from sudden, acute, and uncontrollable diabetes in his late 20's. Gastroparesis and osteoporosis, along with severe and painful neuropathy, soon followed. Although he endured a broken heart, broken dreams, and a very painful, broken body, he continued smiling and praying for everyone he knew. He expected nothing. He appreciated everything. He gave all he could give.
God Saw You

God saw you getting tired,
When a cure was not to be.
So He wrapped his arms around you,
and whispered, "Come to me".
You didn't deserve what you went through,
So He gave you rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He only takes the best
And when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful and free from pain
I could not wish you back
To suffer that again.

Anonymous

Michael's Music


Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cloud Bursts....

I was being driven home the other day so a friend could borrow my car and take it to the repair shop near his home for a little exhaust problem. In the passenger seat, I was able to observe the stretches of a promising beautiful blue sky and the fluffy clouds. I usually am looking at traffic lights and bumpers.

Little puffs of light fluffy clouds danced about here and there, forming those mystical shapes that make you think about laying back on a blanket and just cloud watching. They seem like happy things, those little clouds,slowly meandering across the sky, stretching, rearranging, bumping in to other little clouds.

And then we got closer to my town, and I noticed some bigger heavier clouds hanging lower in the sky. Not too many of them, but they were obviously thicker and darker and lower. Rimmed with whisps of white, their centers and bottoms became progressively grayer and had the appearance of boiling rolls- a churning look to them. Nothing happy about these clouds. They sure stood in contrast to their happier playmates in the sky.

That is me, I thought. I used to be a happy cloud, dancing about, married,children, a wonderful job that I looked forward to working every single day - we would play in the park, or take an impromptu camping trip, or hike around the block looking for leaves and blossoms to press, or search the beach for pretty agates and shells. I would decorate the house for the seasons and the holidays and celebrate all those silly days, too, likeMother Goose Day and National Chocolate Day and we loved April Fool's Day. Some things were planned, but most things were done on the whim.

Now I am a dark rain cloud, gathering tears inside me . progressively feeling heavier and thicker and darker - the tears gathering inside me while I continue to talk to clients, enter orders, check drawings, chat with installers, sit in meetings, drive home, shop, load the dishwasher, record some receipts, feed the animals and get ready for bed.

My chest feels like one of those rain clouds. My marriage has failed, my children have grown,and I've lost my first-born son. My grandchildren live far-away. Even my hopes of a happy future with a wonderful man were dashed to pieces when he unexpectedly died, too. I lost my preschool business and have had to return to the outside business world. My life is totally changed from what it was, what I wanted it to be, what I enjoyed, what I loved so much.

As the days go by, I tend to get more introverted and quiet. I am less tolerant with myself or others. My dismal state casts a shadow around me, blocking others from seeing and enjoying my once more sunny self. It tends to go in cycles now. It will quietly build up and then I will become so full of grief that I must find release. I need my time for allowing the rain to fall. I need a good cry. I will find myself "drizzling" if I don't provide the opportunity to let it all out. "My eyes are just leaking," I'll explain to co-workers and family when I seem to get teary-eyed without any particular prompting.

My friend observed my quieter-than-normal state and asked, "What's wrong,Sandi? Whatcha thinking? Share your thoughts."

I replied, "You know if clouds don't empty out when they get heavy and dark like that, they could end up being storm clouds, full of thunder and electricity and rage and unpredictability. Let's not stop at the store, just take me directly home and drop me off. I think it's time for another cloudburst."

With child-loss grief, sadness continues to accumulate inside us, even when we begin to resume our daily tasks and our interactions with others. Remember to allow yourselves time and find a place where you can release the tears and sadness as often as you feel the need.

Love and hugs,Sandi

No comments: