To One In Sorrow
Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
And let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorrow such as yours, can understand.
Let me come in--I would be very still beside you in your grief;
I would not bid you cease your weeping, friend,
Tears bring relief. Let me come in--and hold your hand,
For I have known a sorrow such as yours, And understand.

-Grace Noll Crowell

The Loss Of A Child

The moment that I knew you had died,
My heart split in two,
The one side filled with memories,
The other died with you.

I often lay awake at night,
When the world is fast asleep,
And take a walk down memory lane,
With tears upon my cheek.

Remembering you is easy,
I do it every day,
But missing you is a heartache,
That never goes away.

I hold you tightly within my heart,
And there you will remain,
Life has gone on without you,
But it never will be the same.

For those who still have their children,
Treat them with tender care,
You will never know the emptiness,
As when you turn and they are not there.

Don't tell me that you understand,
don't tell me that you know.
Don't tell me that I will survive,
How I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test,
That I am truly blessed.
That I am chosen for the task,
Apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers
That can only come from me,
Don't tell me how my grief will pass,
That I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment
the bonds I must untie,
Don't tell me how to grieve,
Don't tell me when to cry.

Accept me in my ups and downs,
need someone to share,
Just hold my hand and let me cry
And say, "My friend, I care

Author unknown

in my car

in my car the tears flow free
away from everyone else but me
alone in my car with only my sorrow
i keep hoping it won't be the same tomorrow
but it is and as i drive home from work each day
it is strength that i beg for each time that i pray
god, let me make it just one more mile
on this road of life without my child

by renee williams
Member of lossofachild2 grief support group

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by my Grief Support Blog! This blog will be added to as new resources are discovered and examined, as I find new poetry, or write new articles. Please stop back by again! A blog seems to scroll on forever as you add to it, and older articles are "archived". Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on a link to see older articles. You'll then be taken to the top of the blog again and will have to scroll down the page to see the older articles now placed on the page. CONTENTS Poems and Submissions by Others... ~One More Mile, Renee Williams ~A Pair of Shoes, Anonymous ~God Saw You, Anonymous ~How Am I?, by Jennifer Bonner ~How We Survive, by Mark Rickerby ~Please See Me Through My Tears, Kelly Osmont ~To One In Sorrow, Grace Noll Crowell Memorials... ~Michael Aaron Botten ~Matthew Robert Slasor Resources ~Two More Resources ~Support Groups Online ~Books and Articles ~List of Grief and Comfort Songs ~Tributes to Lost Loved Ones Articles ~Cloud Bursts ~Endless Highway ~I Feel That No One Cares ~Seaching for Comfort and Cures ~Child Loss - A Different Dimension of Grief ~The Elusive Good Night's Sleep ~Our Grief Becomes a Part of Who We Are ~Healing Times - Taking Care of You ~Some Ways to Help a Grieving Person ~They Are Worthy of Our Grief ~Coming Back to Life Again ~Another Calendar Page Falls to the Floor ~Holiday Memorial Wreath ~The Grief Pack ~No More Compensation ~Grief Journeys - Heading for Dry Land ~The Red Light Won't Go Off (Child Loss) ~Go At Your Own Pace...But Keep on Trying

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07
My beloved first-born son

Michael Aaron Botten

February 18, 1974 - January 09, 2007

Beloved first-born son of Sandra Burgess-Dean and William Botten; brother to Tracie Dean and Matthew Botten; father to two beautiful daughters, Krista and Kelsey.

He loved old cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, fixing things, remote control vehicles, model cars, bicycles, creating with clay, drawing, reading his Bible, his family, friends, and co-workers. He was a volunteer fireman and a maintenance technician.

Michael suffered from sudden, acute, and uncontrollable diabetes in his late 20's. Gastroparesis and osteoporosis, along with severe and painful neuropathy, soon followed. Although he endured a broken heart, broken dreams, and a very painful, broken body, he continued smiling and praying for everyone he knew. He expected nothing. He appreciated everything. He gave all he could give.
God Saw You

God saw you getting tired,
When a cure was not to be.
So He wrapped his arms around you,
and whispered, "Come to me".
You didn't deserve what you went through,
So He gave you rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He only takes the best
And when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful and free from pain
I could not wish you back
To suffer that again.

Anonymous

Michael's Music


Sunday, June 15, 2008

Some Ways to Help a Grieving Person...

PLEASE DON’T SAY….
~”It could have been worse.”
~”Your loved one is in a better place.”
~”You need to get your mind off of this.”
~”At least you are young enough to find someone else and get married again.”
~”You can still have more children.”
~”At least you still have other children.”~
”At least you got to have your children for ‘x’ number of years.”
~”At least you didn’t have the baby long enough to get attached.”
~”At least the baby died before birth so you didn’t get attached.”
~”Wow, looks like you are all better now.”
~”Now you have an angel watching over you.”
~”It’s probably for the best.”
~”There must have been something wrong.”
~”I know how you feel.”
~”Be grateful for the time you did have together.”
~”Be grateful that you still have other children.”
~”At least you got to be married (or fall in love or have a child), even if you lost them. Some people never get to be married (or fall in love or have a child) at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THINGS YOU MIGHT SAY …
~”I’m sorry.”
~”What can I do to help?”
~”I’m here for you.”
~”I love you.”
~”I really care about you.”
~”I don’t know what to say, but I am sorry.”
~”I’m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THINGS THAT MIGHT BE HELPFUL …
*Help field phone calls and greet visitors during the first days after the loss. Many people will call to verify the news or offer condolences. Others will want to know about any services that will be held. It’s very helpful if friends and family members help take care of the phone calls that need to be answered, and also the ones that need to be made (inviting friends and family members to the services).
*Make, or encourage others to make, meals for the bereaved and their family and guests. Snack foods are great donations, too. Breakfast rolls, casseroles, salads – foods that need little or no preparation or that can just be heated and served are wonderful help to the family.
*Extend words of sympathy. Saying, “I’m so sorry” or “You are in my thoughts and prayers” are just fine. It’s hard to know what to say, and just saying “I really don’t know what to say, but I am sorry for your loss” is just fine.
*There is no set time on grieving. The grief period varies with the individual and the situation. For parents who lose a child, grief may be more intense and extended. Telling the person they need to “get on with their life” or that they need to “get over it” or that it’s time to “move on” won’t help them heal any faster.
*Let the grieving person talk about his grief and loss, share his feelings, shed tears. Be patient with your friend or loved one – their moods may change back and forth from sadness to anger to numbness without much notice. Remember that their behaviors may also be variable or unusual while they are going through all the stages of grief.
*Listen without interrupting or changing the subject, without dispensing advice, and without trying to cheer them up.
*Visit frequently, gauging the length of your visits on how the grieving person is doing. Ask them if they need more space or if they need to have you around more frequently.
*Ask what you can do to help rather than inviting them to call you if they need anything. They may not know what they need or what they need to do first. Sometimes you can help them brainstorm or make lists of things that are needed or that need to be done. You can volunteer specifically for something they need help with. Can you help with some laundry? Dishes? Vacuuming? Watering the plants or feeding the pets?
*The death of a loved one causes an abrupt halt to every day living, and even things such as finances can be stressed. It may have been the member of the family who provided the main income source who has died. The person in grief may need to take time off from work without pay while in the acute stages of mourning. Extra company means extra food, heat, and other expenses during visitations following the death and funeral. Funerals and other types of services may or may not have been anticipated in most budgets and frequently are a huge burden on the remaining family members. You might encourage other family and friends to contribute to a fund to help the family out during this time.
*Give hugs or hold hands if acceptable, or just sit close by. Sometimes a person in grief may want to be physically close one minute and want to be separate and untouched the next. Be patient with her or him.
*Remember the special days in your friend or loved one’s days as these may be difficult for her to navigate. Dates such as birthdays, the anniversary of the death, special holidays may be times of renewed grief for her.
*Talk to your friend about their loss when they bring the subject up. Sometimes people will try to avoid the topic, but usually the grieving person feels more comfortable sharing with someone who does talk about their loss. In some cases, the grieving person might specifically ask that you don’t bring up the topic or mention it in certain situations where they are trying to keep emotions under control (a meeting, the work place, etc.).
*Encourage your friend or loved one to check in with their medical doctor. It’s a good time to get a check up – grief puts a great deal of stress and strain on the body and mind. You might suggest they ask their doctor for a referral to a grief support group.

No comments: