To One In Sorrow
Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
And let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorrow such as yours, can understand.
Let me come in--I would be very still beside you in your grief;
I would not bid you cease your weeping, friend,
Tears bring relief. Let me come in--and hold your hand,
For I have known a sorrow such as yours, And understand.

-Grace Noll Crowell

The Loss Of A Child

The moment that I knew you had died,
My heart split in two,
The one side filled with memories,
The other died with you.

I often lay awake at night,
When the world is fast asleep,
And take a walk down memory lane,
With tears upon my cheek.

Remembering you is easy,
I do it every day,
But missing you is a heartache,
That never goes away.

I hold you tightly within my heart,
And there you will remain,
Life has gone on without you,
But it never will be the same.

For those who still have their children,
Treat them with tender care,
You will never know the emptiness,
As when you turn and they are not there.

Don't tell me that you understand,
don't tell me that you know.
Don't tell me that I will survive,
How I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test,
That I am truly blessed.
That I am chosen for the task,
Apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers
That can only come from me,
Don't tell me how my grief will pass,
That I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment
the bonds I must untie,
Don't tell me how to grieve,
Don't tell me when to cry.

Accept me in my ups and downs,
need someone to share,
Just hold my hand and let me cry
And say, "My friend, I care

Author unknown

in my car

in my car the tears flow free
away from everyone else but me
alone in my car with only my sorrow
i keep hoping it won't be the same tomorrow
but it is and as i drive home from work each day
it is strength that i beg for each time that i pray
god, let me make it just one more mile
on this road of life without my child

by renee williams
Member of lossofachild2 grief support group

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by my Grief Support Blog! This blog will be added to as new resources are discovered and examined, as I find new poetry, or write new articles. Please stop back by again! A blog seems to scroll on forever as you add to it, and older articles are "archived". Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on a link to see older articles. You'll then be taken to the top of the blog again and will have to scroll down the page to see the older articles now placed on the page. CONTENTS Poems and Submissions by Others... ~One More Mile, Renee Williams ~A Pair of Shoes, Anonymous ~God Saw You, Anonymous ~How Am I?, by Jennifer Bonner ~How We Survive, by Mark Rickerby ~Please See Me Through My Tears, Kelly Osmont ~To One In Sorrow, Grace Noll Crowell Memorials... ~Michael Aaron Botten ~Matthew Robert Slasor Resources ~Two More Resources ~Support Groups Online ~Books and Articles ~List of Grief and Comfort Songs ~Tributes to Lost Loved Ones Articles ~Cloud Bursts ~Endless Highway ~I Feel That No One Cares ~Seaching for Comfort and Cures ~Child Loss - A Different Dimension of Grief ~The Elusive Good Night's Sleep ~Our Grief Becomes a Part of Who We Are ~Healing Times - Taking Care of You ~Some Ways to Help a Grieving Person ~They Are Worthy of Our Grief ~Coming Back to Life Again ~Another Calendar Page Falls to the Floor ~Holiday Memorial Wreath ~The Grief Pack ~No More Compensation ~Grief Journeys - Heading for Dry Land ~The Red Light Won't Go Off (Child Loss) ~Go At Your Own Pace...But Keep on Trying

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07
My beloved first-born son

Michael Aaron Botten

February 18, 1974 - January 09, 2007

Beloved first-born son of Sandra Burgess-Dean and William Botten; brother to Tracie Dean and Matthew Botten; father to two beautiful daughters, Krista and Kelsey.

He loved old cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, fixing things, remote control vehicles, model cars, bicycles, creating with clay, drawing, reading his Bible, his family, friends, and co-workers. He was a volunteer fireman and a maintenance technician.

Michael suffered from sudden, acute, and uncontrollable diabetes in his late 20's. Gastroparesis and osteoporosis, along with severe and painful neuropathy, soon followed. Although he endured a broken heart, broken dreams, and a very painful, broken body, he continued smiling and praying for everyone he knew. He expected nothing. He appreciated everything. He gave all he could give.
God Saw You

God saw you getting tired,
When a cure was not to be.
So He wrapped his arms around you,
and whispered, "Come to me".
You didn't deserve what you went through,
So He gave you rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He only takes the best
And when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful and free from pain
I could not wish you back
To suffer that again.

Anonymous

Michael's Music


Saturday, April 12, 2008

They Are Worthy Of Our Grief ...

How people cope with grief, that is how they process through the initialacute grief stages and how they continue on the rest of their lives with thegrief that always remains, is so varied.

It depends so much on our past histories and previous griefs we may havealready endured, what our relationship was with the person we lost, if there were any complications in that relationship that we are left to deal with(for instance, an unresolved fight), what unfinished business we had withthem that we must take care of ourselves now, what kind of support system we have around us, what our religious or spiritual beliefs are and how strongthey are, and the state of our own mental and physical health.

The first thing is to be able to find time and space to actually grieve.This may mean yell, cry, scream, sit and ponder, question. Sometimes it'shard to find this time and space because we have to go back to work so quickly, we have others to care for, and we have people who want us to"hurry up and getting over this."

Then, I think, and I think a lot of people here will agree, that the telling of our story, of our relationship with our lost one, of their life and theirpassing, and of our feelings about this person and this loss, is almostmandatory. It can be told to family, friends, and co-workers, but eventuallya majority of them will become tired of hearing the same story told, even ifit is told in a variety of ways. You can tell it to strangers (I think most of us have done this). You can write about it in a private journal. You can talk to your doctor, your dentist, your barber. You can talk to a counselor about it. You can usually find some sort of grief support group in or nearyour community. You can put together a scrapbook of photos and memories. You can make an online memorial or a little memorial in your own home or garden.You can join support groups like this (where, because we understand the need, we won't get tired of hearing your story over and over again). These are all ways to tell your story. You may want to try all of them. You may want to try some of them now and some of them later.

If there were complications or too much unfinished business in your relationship with your loved one, then those feelings need to be discoveredand dealt with. Sometimes just in telling our stories and gettingconfirmation from others that we are not guilty, or that we did the best we could under the conditions we had to deal with, will help with this. Othertimes, it might be wise to consult with a professional.

The next thing on the list is taking care of yourself. Grief attacks all our nerves and feelings, our energy, our appetites, our sleeping habits. We needto drink extra water and less caffeine during this time. We need to get at least 15 minutes of exercise (it can be simple walking outside in the fresh air). We need to go to bed and rise at regular times, even when we cannot sleep. We need a check up at our doctor and we need to ask for help in anyof the areas of physical or mental problems we may be experiencing.Sometimes an anti-depressant might be prescribed; sometimes a sleeping aid for a short time to help you get back on track or get some much needed sleep. We need to stay away from junk foods and eat healthier foods right now - even if they are in smaller portions.

Then we need to find our own "grief work". Again, this is very personal,very individual. It can be a short term, one time thing or an ongoing thing.We need to find something in our life to DO in tribute to our loved ones.Maybe it's becoming a better, kinder, more patient person. Maybe doing anonymous good deeds. Perhaps it's helping to build a new community park or raising funds for a resting bench in a preserve. Maybe it's going to the beach every year and picking up litter. Or raising funds for more research in the disease or condition that took our loved one away. Perhaps it's joining a group that fights drinking and driving. Or perhaps its resolving to be on the lookout for someone in grief and being as supportive as possible. You might find your grief work resolved in creating the online memorial or a scrapbook of tribute or in planting a new little memorialgarden or in digging up earth and planting a new flower or bush in tribute.Again, you might want to do one thing now and something later, too. Or you may want to do many things.

Sometimes we need to initially restrict our extra activities to help reserve our energy for grieving (it takes a lot of energy). Some people find a comfort in returning to as much of a regular routine as possible as quicklyas possible, just so that so much more of their life isn't disrupted anymore than it already has been.

I have lost my father, aunt, grandparents, and just last year lost my beloved first born son and my boyfriend. It was, perhaps, time for mygrandparents to pass on but it doesn't make the space they left in my lifeany less empty, but my father and aunt both died of quick and unexplainedhealth issues. My son was stricken with sudden and uncontrollable diabetes Iin his late 20s and it attacked his body with a vengeance. He died last January. My boyfriend died, very unexpectedly, also from complications ofdiabetes I, this past September.

Grief is hard and painful work. The more valuable and loved our departed was to us, the harder and more painful our grief will be. They are worthy of this grief we endure. We do get through the initial acute stages, and we learn how to carry on with our lives, incorporating our loss into who we are.

No comments: