To One In Sorrow
Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
And let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorrow such as yours, can understand.
Let me come in--I would be very still beside you in your grief;
I would not bid you cease your weeping, friend,
Tears bring relief. Let me come in--and hold your hand,
For I have known a sorrow such as yours, And understand.

-Grace Noll Crowell

The Loss Of A Child

The moment that I knew you had died,
My heart split in two,
The one side filled with memories,
The other died with you.

I often lay awake at night,
When the world is fast asleep,
And take a walk down memory lane,
With tears upon my cheek.

Remembering you is easy,
I do it every day,
But missing you is a heartache,
That never goes away.

I hold you tightly within my heart,
And there you will remain,
Life has gone on without you,
But it never will be the same.

For those who still have their children,
Treat them with tender care,
You will never know the emptiness,
As when you turn and they are not there.

Don't tell me that you understand,
don't tell me that you know.
Don't tell me that I will survive,
How I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test,
That I am truly blessed.
That I am chosen for the task,
Apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers
That can only come from me,
Don't tell me how my grief will pass,
That I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment
the bonds I must untie,
Don't tell me how to grieve,
Don't tell me when to cry.

Accept me in my ups and downs,
need someone to share,
Just hold my hand and let me cry
And say, "My friend, I care

Author unknown

in my car

in my car the tears flow free
away from everyone else but me
alone in my car with only my sorrow
i keep hoping it won't be the same tomorrow
but it is and as i drive home from work each day
it is strength that i beg for each time that i pray
god, let me make it just one more mile
on this road of life without my child

by renee williams
Member of lossofachild2 grief support group

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by my Grief Support Blog! This blog will be added to as new resources are discovered and examined, as I find new poetry, or write new articles. Please stop back by again! A blog seems to scroll on forever as you add to it, and older articles are "archived". Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on a link to see older articles. You'll then be taken to the top of the blog again and will have to scroll down the page to see the older articles now placed on the page. CONTENTS Poems and Submissions by Others... ~One More Mile, Renee Williams ~A Pair of Shoes, Anonymous ~God Saw You, Anonymous ~How Am I?, by Jennifer Bonner ~How We Survive, by Mark Rickerby ~Please See Me Through My Tears, Kelly Osmont ~To One In Sorrow, Grace Noll Crowell Memorials... ~Michael Aaron Botten ~Matthew Robert Slasor Resources ~Two More Resources ~Support Groups Online ~Books and Articles ~List of Grief and Comfort Songs ~Tributes to Lost Loved Ones Articles ~Cloud Bursts ~Endless Highway ~I Feel That No One Cares ~Seaching for Comfort and Cures ~Child Loss - A Different Dimension of Grief ~The Elusive Good Night's Sleep ~Our Grief Becomes a Part of Who We Are ~Healing Times - Taking Care of You ~Some Ways to Help a Grieving Person ~They Are Worthy of Our Grief ~Coming Back to Life Again ~Another Calendar Page Falls to the Floor ~Holiday Memorial Wreath ~The Grief Pack ~No More Compensation ~Grief Journeys - Heading for Dry Land ~The Red Light Won't Go Off (Child Loss) ~Go At Your Own Pace...But Keep on Trying

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07

Michael Aaron Botten 02/18/74-01/09/07
My beloved first-born son

Michael Aaron Botten

February 18, 1974 - January 09, 2007

Beloved first-born son of Sandra Burgess-Dean and William Botten; brother to Tracie Dean and Matthew Botten; father to two beautiful daughters, Krista and Kelsey.

He loved old cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, fixing things, remote control vehicles, model cars, bicycles, creating with clay, drawing, reading his Bible, his family, friends, and co-workers. He was a volunteer fireman and a maintenance technician.

Michael suffered from sudden, acute, and uncontrollable diabetes in his late 20's. Gastroparesis and osteoporosis, along with severe and painful neuropathy, soon followed. Although he endured a broken heart, broken dreams, and a very painful, broken body, he continued smiling and praying for everyone he knew. He expected nothing. He appreciated everything. He gave all he could give.
God Saw You

God saw you getting tired,
When a cure was not to be.
So He wrapped his arms around you,
and whispered, "Come to me".
You didn't deserve what you went through,
So He gave you rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He only takes the best
And when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful and free from pain
I could not wish you back
To suffer that again.

Anonymous

Michael's Music


Saturday, April 26, 2008

Child Loss - A Different Dimension of Grief

“I’m trying to deal with multiple losses. Actually my child died many years ago, but every time I lose someone else, it seems like I’ve lost her all over again. I have many good days now, but have never gotten over her death. I am not the same person I used to be – maybe people think I am, but I’m not inside. Sometimes my heart will start aching for her and I can’t even figure out what triggered it. The grief still comes and goes. Not to discredit the grief I’ve experienced with other people I’ve loved and lost, but I haven’t recovered the same way from losing my daughter. It seems it is always with me.”


CHILD LOSS BRINGS A GRIEF OF A DIFFERENT DIMENSION
My sympathy is with you for your losses. I’ve also lost many relatives and friends since 1999, as well as had a streak of rather bad luck or whatever you want to call it (car accident, motorcycle accident, divorce, shingles, fall down two flights of stairs & dislocated shoulder, surgeries, loss of my business….).

Multiple losses, changes in our lives, our previous life experiences, the type of support we have available, and our level of determination to fight to get back “into the stream” of life all have an affect on our grief and our ability to cope with it. It can be complicated by our health, anxiety and depression, finances, guilt, fear, and unresolved relationships. I had never experienced child loss before, so I am only learning as I go, but I agree pretty much with every mother and father who has lost a child, it is a grief of a different dimension than other griefs.

EVERY LOSS, OR CHANGE, BRINGS GRIEF THAT TUGS ON PREVIOUS WOUNDS

Every time we lose something or something changes, there is a loss. I think of little losses as pin prinks to our hearts – sometimes they are so quick, we hardly notice them and we recover from them with little or no scarring at all. Sometimes larger or more meaningful losses occur and bigger holes are made – sometimes they take a little longer to heal and there may be some scarring, but generally the scarring will fade away.When it comes to people and pets, the gashes in our hearts are much bigger and more ragged edged. The closer the person was to us, the more meaningful the pet was to us, the deeper the gash. Because it’s not a quick prick or a clean cut, damage is done to the area around it as well. It is much more painful and the pain is much stronger and longer lasting. The more complicated the grief (multiple griefs, anger, unresolved problems, guilt, etc), the harder it is for the area to scab over and the scar tissue to begin growing.

Because there are so many “touchpoints” (reminders in our daily lives and thoughts) about our loved ones, we often break open the scabs repetitively. Thicker, less flexible, scar tissue begins to formeventually – but the area is always tender. Each time we get another wound, it pulls and tugs on the previous scar tissue, causing it to become inflamed and painful again.

THE WOUND FROM CHILD LOSS IS PERMANENTLY SENSITIVE

With a child loss, I envision the grief as a huge gaping hole right through the heart – because it is so huge and so much tissue is lost, the scabs must cover so much area inside the tunnel as well as the outside – there is so much more area that is susceptible to breaking open again. It takes much, much longer for the scar tissue to form. The damage around the hole is moresignificant and wide spread. It pulls and tugs on every single big or little scar we’ve already incurred in life. The gape never completely fills in. The nerves around the wound are permanently disturbed and reactive. Memories, stress, tiredness, changes in our lives, and future wounds, big or small losses, will undoubtedly trigger a child-loss wound to painfully ache and throb again as they either pull on the unmovable, unflexible scars of the wound itself, redamage the affected area, or stimulate the pain nerves surrounding the wound. In other words, as I see it, a child-loss wound never completely heals.

WE MAY FIND WE ARE PERMANENTLY CHANGED

We learn to live with the wound. We learn to take hikes again in our lives, but we stop and rest more frequently. We don’t run quite as fast. Perhaps we might still climb some steep hills, maybe even some mountains, but we are most observant about our footholds and we tend to try to find secure things to hold on to. We are a little more quiet. We are much more observant. Other people seem to zoom on past up, and we feel we are in slow motion most of the time. Like arthritis can bother some people daily and others seasonally, sometimes after a strenuous or stressful day, other times when the weather is cold or they are feeling ill or fatigued, our wounds tend to ache and throb without rhythm or schedule or reason sometimes.

CARE OF SELF IS MANDATORY – MENTAL AND PHYSICAL GRIEF THERAPY

Basics like eating healthily, trying to get into a good routine of sleeping/waking hours, and getting daily fresh air and exercise are vital for managing our pain. Sometimes medication might be needed (antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, sleeping aids – see a doctor for assistance in determining what might help you).

Mental therapy (counseling, support groups, journaling our thoughts, expressing our grief, etc) is usually needed.

Physical therapy is also a good idea – doing something about your depression and grief. For me, physical therapy for grief includes listing the things I need to get done as far as errands, chores, employment responsibilities, family interaction and working on them each day, a little more each day. It also involves listing the things I want to do (getting active again socially, entertaining, going out, crafting, improving my home and atmosphere, getting back into better physical condition) and working on those things a little every day or every other day, a little more each day.

GRIEF WORK HELPS BRING SOME FOCUS AND PURPOSE TO OUR LIVES

It also means, for me, finding my grief work or different types of grief work that I can do (one time projects or ongoing ones). For me, grief work is working on scrapbooks for my son’s two daughters, working on his memorial site and that of my boyfriend’s, writing stories of my son’s life as they come to mind to share with his children, donating to the diabetesassociation and, eventually, helping to fund raise to find new treatments or cures. It has also now grown to include to trying to be a support to others who are grieving. For others it might be pledging to do a good dead in the name of their loved one every day or once a week, or helping to raise funds and/or build a new playground for children. Perhaps doing a walkathon or race for pledges to a specific cause in memory of their loved one. It could be planting wild flower seeds wherever you go or planting a little garden in an area of your yard in tribute. Maybe putting a bench someplace in your yard for reflective moments. It could be building ramps for the handicapped or helping to build homes for the homeless. It could be knitting prayer shawls for others in grief or baby blankets for preemies or to give to unwed mothers. It could be helping with a food drive for the hungry.

I seriously think that finding one’s “grief work”, whether it is a one-time effort or a short term project , an annual event, or an ongoing work, or a variety of tasks and projects, is very important to our souls. It helps me to keep focused and it is helping me, slowly but surely, helping me rejoin the human race as a participant rather than someone just watching from the sidelines. I have not plunged back in … I am taking small, considered steps forward. There are days that I relapse and feel physically and mentally tired (and this is something that happens more frequently now since loss than before even when I overworked myself) that I just can’t get anything done.

YOU GOTTA KEEP TRYING, EVERY DAY, ONE STEP AT A TIME

I definitely have to fight depression. It definitely does nothing to bring my son or other loved ones back. But it isn’t something I can just dismiss –it seems to be entwined in me and hampers my efforts to move forward. But I keep on trying. A little more each day. One step at a time.

No comments: